The Health Organization Management Program is a joint venture between the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center School of Medicine and the Jerry S. Rawls College of Business.
The Mission of the Master's of Business Administration Program in Health Organization Management [MBA (HOM)] is (1) to provide and integrate health care management education, which is based upon the core business management skills found in the MBA in Management curriculum, (2) to conduct and report relevant research, and (3) to provide service related to the management of healthcare organizations. The mission of the MBA (HOM) Program is consistent with the shared mission of Texas Tech University and the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, and the missions of the Rawls College of Business Administration and the School of Medicine. The MBA (HOM) Program is committed to the recruitment and retention of high quality, diverse students and faculty, and is actively involved in recruitment, retention and placement of its students
Vision and Growth Goals
The HOM concentration is a program within the Rawls College of Business' Master of Business Administration Degree. The following vision and goal statements are designed to advance the Program's national stature and improve our student's career opportunities. In addition, the vision and objectives bring the Program in line with the broader strategies of Texas Tech and the RCOB - in particular enrollment growth and funded research are addressed.
Vision To become a top ranked Healthcare Management Program within the US, and the elite program for Healthcare Management training for the State of Texas and surrounding states.
Being viewed as an elite Healthcare Administration Program means that our education programs:
- Rank in the U.S. News and World Reports' Top 30 Healthcare Management Programs';
- Attract diverse top tier students who complete the MBA in the top 50% of their class;
- Extend the reach of our programming beyond the Lubbock area through innovative delivery of educational opportunities to a variety of audiences in a user-friendly format;
- Position the Program as a leader in the 'Heath Leadership Competency' Movement by the next accreditation cycle, creating a program that is recognized as exemplary by the CAHME accreditation process defined as a pass during the next accreditation with no unmet criteria and exemplary criteria in no less than 15% of measurable areas;
- Serve as the program of choice for Texas employees resulting in an increase in starting salaries and placement rates.
Being viewed as an elite Healthcare Administration Program means that our research programs:
- Produce research published in top tier health and business administration journals as defined by the health administration peer group;
- Are funded to a total annual research portfolio of more than $300,000 dollars by the 2011-2012 application cycle (Currently at $150,000 dollars);
- Are perceived as adding value to healthcare organizations and agencies, as evidenced by research consultancy work funded by such organizations.
Being viewed as an elite Healthcare Administration Program means that our program serves as the model for interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary research for Texas Tech University, resulting in:
- Increased joint educational programming across campus (e.g., medicine, nursing, pharmacy, Garrison Institute on Aging, executive programs, etc.);
- Funded research with faculty from across TTU/TTUHSC and with outside organizations;
- Partner with Texas healthcare employers to conduct action-oriented research.
- To prepare students for managerial positions throughout the healthcare industry, the HOM Program has the following objectives
- Promotion of independent thinking
- Interaction with senior-level healthcare executives and business executives through formal and informal mentor relationships provided in classes and organizations
- Development of strong financial and quantitative skills
- Enhancement of individual and team development through individual and team projects and reports
- Development of strong operational and analytical skills through incorporation of the strengths of various academic disciplines
- Exposure of students to current healthcare research
- Emphasis within in the Program is placed on these topics
- Strategic management of healthcare organizations
- Development of integrated delivery systems and managed care organizations
- Analysis of rural healthcare management
- Healthcare policy and legislation
- Human resource management in healthcare management
- Social responsibility and ethics in healthcare management
- Medical and healthcare information systems
CAHME promotes, evaluates, and improves the quality of graduate healthcare management education in the United States and Canada. Through their partnership between academe and the field of practice, CAHME serves universities and programs in a voluntary peer review process as a means to continuously improve graduate education. In doing so, CAHME accreditation becomes the benchmark by which students and employers determine the integrity of healthcare management education and establishes the standard of measurement for the world community.
The HOM Program has been accredited by CAHME since 1994, and has recently been reaccredited through 2013.
The Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) is a not- for- profit association of university-based educational programs, faculty, practitioners, and provider organizations. Its members are dedicated to continuously improving the field of healthcare management and practice. It is the only non-profit entity of its kind that works to improve the delivery of health services throughout the world - and thus the health of citizens - by educating professional managers at the entry level.
AUPHA provides a central source for students to seek information on the best programs in the world. AUPHA's membership is comprised of the 160 best programs in healthcare management. Membership in AUPHA is tied to the pursuit of program accreditation at the graduate level and undergraduate certification at the bachelor's degree level. Thus, AUPHA can ensure that its members represent the premier programs in the world.
AACSB International accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for business schools, worldwide. Institutions that earn accreditation confirm their commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review. AACSB International accreditation is the hallmark of excellence in management education .
AACSB International accreditation assures stakeholders that business schools:
- Manage resources to achieve a vibrant and relevant mission.
- Advance business and management knowledge through faculty scholarship.
- Provide high-caliber teaching of quality and current curricula.
- Cultivate meaningful interaction between students and a qualified faculty.
- Produce graduates who have achieved specified learning goals.